I recently switched from Joomla! over to WordPress. One major step which was preventing me from making the move for so long was the export process.
Then I found a post on azeemkhan.info which had a wizard which would allow you to move the content over. But there was a problem. It did not support UTF-8 sites like Joomla! 1.5 So I decided to take this script and change it to a working script with UTF-8 support.
First things first ! Make backups of your old site !!!!!
1. Unzip Joomla2WordPress.zip
2. Edit config.php and enter all missing values
3. Upload files to /export on your server
4. Add Categories in wordpress which you want to import into
5. Open www.yoursite.com/export/index.php on a browser
6. Select either a Joomla Section, Category or Links Category
7. Select a WordPress Category to import into
8. Repeat Steps 5-7 till all of your articles have been imported
9. Enjoy and Spread the word!
If you have any problems with this tool, just drop me a mail.
[download id=”1″ format=”1″]
This application is created for a wordpress installation not in the root but in /root/wordpress on your server. If your wordpress installation is in the root or in another directory (eg: /root/blog, /root/posts) you have to adjust the following lines to this :
Line 11: if (!file_exists(‘../wordpress/wp-config.php’))
Line 17: require_once(‘../wordpress/wp-config.php’);
Line 21: $guessurl = str_replace(‘/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php?step=2’, ”, ‘http://’ . $_SERVER[‘HTTP_HOST’] . dirname($_SERVER[‘PHP_SELF’]) );
Line 312: require_once (“../wordpress/wp-includes/functions.php”);
Line 441: require_once (“../wordpress/wp-includes/functions.php”);